The Official WeatherBug Community
Welcome to our Backyard Community Help and Feedback group! This is the place to receive help and support with our Backyard Community, as well as send us your feedback and receive updates about NING, the social networking service that powers the Backyard Community. We'll be rolling out more information here coming up, so stay tuned!
Has this replaced the discussion forum at http://backyard.weatherbug.com/forum/categories/weatherbug-on-the-d... ?I just joined this group.
Here's the link to the official new Desktop Support Group:
Thanks for the link. I just joined the group.
Wow... this site really sucks. I had registered my station before but had to shut down for a bit so figured I would go ahead and update things and start sending station updates... BUT... NOWHERE CAN I FIND HOW TO GET THE ORIGINAL STATION INFO!
This site is not friendly to those folks wanting to upload station information... this is probably the third time in 3 years I have tried this. Guess I'll just continue to work with a station friendly site like Weather Underground that appreciate users that want to publish data (and are therefore far more succesful as a business).
Also... you really need to look at getting a better forum (unless there is a better one that I can't find).
Do the members that submit weather data get a free Weatherbug Plus account without advertisements?
Thanks in advance!
Hi Ed! The answer right now is "sort of". You can download our old version of WeatherBug, WeatherBug 6, pay for one year of WeatherBug Plus (unless you already have), then every year afterwards we renew your Plus subscription for you on WeatherBug 6.
WeatherBug 7 currently doesn't have a Plus (Elite) version yet. What I'm trying to do with our teams is get them to ditch Plus codes entirely on WeatherBug 7 Elite. They're a real pain and only gum up our support lines. Instead, I'd like to move the WeatherBug 7 Elite activation and the Backyard Stations registration page and tie it into the Backyard Community. Then what would happen in WeatherBug 7, is you would "signin" to WeatherBug 7 with your Backyard Community ID. It would automatically check to see if a Backyard Station is registered and sending data to us. If so, instantly you get a free WeatherBug 7 Elite as long as the data to your station keeps flowing to us. For everyone else, they'd be presented with the ability to activate WeatherBug 7 Elite though the new store through the Backyard Community. We'd also have to find a way to transfer existing subscriptions over, but it wouldn't be hard and in the longrun make life easier for everyone.
The good news is right now you could run both WeatherBug Plus 6 and WeatherBug 7 free on the same machine until the transition is complete.
Hope that answers your question!
Hi Nathan - Thanks for the lengthy response. I'm not sure I completely explained myself... Since the Weatherbug App doesn't pick up my personal weather station I only use Weather Underground which has my station. So I was actually asking about the internet version of Weatherbug which has my station listed... Does this make any sense or did I miss the whole thing? I only see weatherbug elite on the apps page.
Thanks and sorry for being a pain in the a**
Not a problem at all!
1. Our website itself doesn't remove the ads for those sending Backyard Station data to us like Wunderground's does. We are going to be making improvements to our website in the future, and I'm seriously going to talk with our teams about seeing if this can be made a reality. It'd keep us on a competitive edge with Wunderground.
2. WeatherBug Plus is currently the paid version of our desktop application (and it only works with WeatherBug 6, not our new version, WeatherBug 7). What you can do currently is download the old WeatherBug 6 free edition, pay for one year of Plus ($20), then all years after that, it'll be free since you're sending us data. You can also download WeatherBug 7 free alongside WeatherBug 6 and test it while keeping Plus on 6.
Once Plus (which we'll probably rename Elite) comes to WeatherBug 7, as I mentioned above, we're wanting to revamp it so you don't even have to pay the initial $20 for it. You'll just signin to the desktop app and get the ads removed if you're sending us data. I'm also trying to see if we can pull this off on the main WeatherBug.com as well.
They're excellent questions that people ask, so it's great to bring them up so I can publicly answer them. :-)
So the bottom line...
1. You won't get ads removed from WeatherBug.com yet. If I can swing it and get our teams to add this to the future, you may in the future with our next website update.
2. You can download our old version of WeatherBug today, pay for a year of Plus, and get free Plus afterwards.
3. You can download the free version of WeatherBug 7 today and wait for Elite to come out, then you'll probably get it 100% free without paying for even 1 year.
4. Or you can combine 2 and 3 if you want to run both versions today.
Hope that helps!
I completely understand and thanks Nathan! I paid for the Elite back in 2010 for my android phone but rarely use it. I now use my iPad when on the road... Thanks again and I guess I'll keep send you guys weather data (lol)
We are going to add Backyard Stations to our Android and iPad apps in the future as well, so that'll be an additional plus for you. :-)